Monday, July 11, 2011

My Views From Marietta

By Dr. Nnamdi Ekeanyanwu

Saturday, July 9, 2011 was another memorable day for me in the SUSI 2011 program as we undertook one of the cultural tours that exposes the SUSI Scholars to the rich American history. I was amazed at the efforts made to preserve the history of this great nation from diverse perspectives. The visit to Marietta gives Ohio history meaning, liveliness and relevance. I am tempted to belief that part of what makes America great is a connection to its history. Knowing where one is coming from may actually influence where one is going.


The second most intriguing aspect of my trip to Marietta is seeing older persons volunteer to serve their communities in different ways. Coming from a culture where "nothing goes for nothing" I was really impressed how people give back to their communities and happily too.

Then, there is this pride the average American exudes when they talk about America! I wish I can take and share this back home. I think what makes America thick is the Americans!! They believe in who they are and what they stand for.

Thank you SUSI for this great experiential learning opportunity.

Dr. Nnamdi T. Ekeanyanwu
Director, International Office and Linkages
Covenant University, Nigeria
SUSI Scholar 2011

No comments: