Wednesday, August 25, 2010

AN AMISH INSPIRATION

AN AMISH INSPIRATION
Abhijit Bora
Today's SUSI 2010 team's visit proved to be quite an encouraging one. Because - it reaffirms the strong desire of human beings to be resolute against the attractions of a luxurious life in this new century. Also, I consider this as a confidence-building status that helps us stand firmly against the lusts and lures of life.
I just wish more and mor eof us human beings could have the strength to live a life like this community - not in exact similarity but trying to maintain its philosophy of life - simple thinking and a philanthropic living with all the care for Nature which gives us everything in life and caring for our families which is everything for us.
How many of our youths today can exactly overcome the lure of big money, charismatic jobs, a city life and joing the Rat Race.
Also, another things that has struck me very much has been the Community-Camaraderie of the people which is reflected in the fact that whenever there is need of some big works in one family's house, all the other members of the community help that specific family. I found this quite interesting because in the viallges of my country, at least in the state where I grew up, such community support was quite a normal affair in the olden days (about 20 years agao) and everyone would help others even without an invitation. The ocacsion may be anaything like marriage, funeral ceremony and feasts, usual religious ceremony etc. However, it is highly saddening that this tradition has been fast dying down in my state because of many factors.
I have been hearing about this community's way of life since my chidlhood and I consider myself lucky enough to have been ableto get a glimpse of its lifestyle, loads of thanks to Stephanie Madam and David Sir without whose cooperation this would not have been possible. This was one high point of the tour for me.
Besides, the food in the reastaurant was also very tasty. I am somewaht phinicky about foods of other countries with which I am not very accustomed to. But, today's was one of the several occasions which I found highly satisfactory and tasty.
However, I could not understand how do members of this community travel long distances when they need to travel, maybe across the states or countries. Or is it avoided.
WELL, PLEASE KEEP IT UP AND BE A SOURCE OF INSPIRATION FOR MANY OTHERS LIKE MYSELF. Amen.

No comments: