Monday, August 13, 2012

London 2012: All Good Things Come to an End

By Holly Moody

Scripps London team at the London Bridge
I can’t believe it’s almost over. Pretty soon I will be on a plane headed back to the states to resume a normal life. Although this experience has been life changing, I must say I am kind of ready to come home. Don’t get me wrong; I had an amazing time.

Covering the Olympics is almost a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I took full advantage of it. But a certain someone was right when he said when you travel abroad at first you love it. Everything about the city is amazing, and you can’t imagine ever wanting to leave.
Then you start to notice the little things that are different in another country, and culture shock really starts to set in. It’s things like walking down the street and not having a trash can at every corner, having to pay 30 pence to use a public restroom and having to specify whether you want tap water or still water at restaurants that start to poke at your nerves a little, and pretty soon you just wish you were home where nothing really surprises you because you're so used to the ins and outs of everything.

At the same time, I’m really going to miss it here, a lot actually. The Olympics were amazing, and I can’t wrap my head around the fact that I actually lived my dream and got to meet some of the world’s greatest athletes.  A chance like this comes only every four years, and I was lucky enough to receive it.

The games really brought everyone together during my time here in London. I’ve had many conversations with perfect strangers on the train and spectators at events. From China to Australia it was great to see everyone from different backgrounds and countries come together to support these athletes who have been training their whole lives for this moment. Sports really do bring people together.

I’m especially going to miss the peers I came here with. We’ve done so much and have really bonded over these last few weeks. I have no doubt that some of us will come away from this trip as life long friends. The memories that we have of this trip and each other will last forever.
Olympic rings over the Olympic Park in East Stratford, London.
I know that when I get home I’m going to be kicking myself and wishing I was back in London. If I could relive this whole trip, I would, but like all good things, this must come to an end. I not only grew as a journalist but as a person here.

I’m glad to be able to say that I was in London covering the Olympics. I can not only add that to my resume but check it off my bucket list. London, it’s been great and I will miss you. But Rio, here I come! See you in 2016.



No comments: