Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sending love from London one last time, Cheers


By Melissa Wells
It’s hard for me to begin this post. There’s a lot I want to say that I know words won’t do justice. I’ll give it a try.
We’re done, goodbye, peace out or as the brits would say, cheers. It’s been absolutely unreal. I have really appreciated the hospitality from everyone here. They have been nothing but kind, approachable, and genuine, well, some of them anyway. There’s always that choice few that hate “you Americans” and can’t wait until you get out of their precious city. However, London really is precious, it has so much to offer to so many different cultures and backgrounds. I could most certinaly see myself here someday. Maybe. I hate that there are no free refills and i’ve probably heard “mind the gap” enough to last a lifetime.

Scripps London group touring around the UK

Kerry Crump, Myself, Jenna Stenger, Katie Grady, Megan Hickcock

Our mens and women’s basketball teams were tremendous these past weeks, both winning gold. Also, Coleman Scott, the wrestler I interviewed and did a story on, won bronze. I am so happy for our athletes and I am so blessed I actually got to meet them. It is something some journalists work their entire careers to do.
Also, I got to meet with THE Debbie Antonelli this week! Before USA played Australia on Thursday we met outside of North Greenwich Arena. Speaking with her was one of the highlights of my trip. She has worked very hard to be where she is today. She does it all and with three boys! You go girl! It encouraged me to be my absolute best and as a women, never take no for an answer. I would love to have her job, so would many. Check out what we talked about and the story I did on her on our site. http://scrippslondon2012.com/2012/08/former-bobcat-goes-from-business-to-broadcast/
We even got to tour the USA House on Friday morning! It was very cool to be able to see where all the athletes chill. It was so beautiful inside. They have a free yogurt bar, waterproof televisions on budwiser themed decks, and unlimited olympic apparel! An OU grad gave us our tour.

Last time the Olympics were in London


All of the USA athletes that have medalled 

USA Olympic Team

Honestly, I can’t even believe I was here for all of this. It was like a dream. This trip really made me realize the struggles of a journalist. It also made me realize if I didn’t have those struggles, it wouldn’t make the job worth it. This is for me, this is what I want to spend my entire life doing. Wether I make one million dollars a year or can barely make an honest living, it doesn’t matter to me. The things that matter to me most are more than just money, more than just material things. Family is everything, people are everything, happiness that you can maintain is everything. Everyone is so blinded by so many flashy and extravagant things they can’t see that anymore. I use to always wish I would win the lottery, or something. I pray to god that I never do (and I won’t because I don’t play and because i’m not lucky). I just want to work hard, make enough, surround myself with great people, and possibly help someone or change their life with my work. That’s what I think a journalist does, they help people. I know it doesn’t always directly seem that way, but they do, they impact people’s lives. They can tell a story someone is too afraid to tell, or can’t by themselves. They help get information to people that really need it. We’re more than just press, we’re story tellers. We are here to be strong for others that are weak. As I journalist, I promise to always do that and to be someone that someone else can count on for consistency and realness. I will always wake up and try to be the best person I can be. I know i’m not perfect nor will I ever be, but I promised myself to always make a conscious effort. London has really reiterated these feelings for me. After traveling to a different country it really made me appreciate the way I was raised and the outstanding family that I have. They are the reason I try to be the best I can possibly be, as a daughter, a student, and as a friend to others. My family are the best people I know (I said best, not most normal or sane). In all seriousness though, they are great. They are the kind of people that would welcome you into their homes and make you feel special. They are the kind of people who would give you the last piece of pizza or the last dollar out of their wallet. They are the reason why I am who I am today and for that I am forever grateful. I’m on the journey to chase my dreams because of them. My pap has always said, “hold on tight to your dreams” and I promised him I always will.
I even got my wallet stolen yesterday (Don’t want to talk about it). Who wired me the money? My wonderful mim and pap. They are indescribable.


   Me at Opening Ceremonies
Just weeks ago this was me at opening ceremonies. Now it’s closing ceremonies and the Olympics are over. The love and passion that came out of people these past weeks has been amazing to see. The games are more than just sports, they are a way people from different cultures come together. It’s beautiful to see, to say I was apart of it is something I will forever cherish.
Thank you Ohio University and the E.W Scripps School of Journalism for making this possible and for making this girl’s dreams come true. Also, thanks to my family for paying for it….. $$$
I hope those that have followed my blog have enjoyed reading it, somewhat. I appreciate all the support and kind words most have given me.
I’m headed to the airport tomorrow morning, let’s all cross our fingers that I don’t miss my flight, again.
With all my love from London,
xoxo Mel

No comments: